Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Let your light shine!

Hidden Away (Josh Groban)

Light a Candle for Hope in the New Year

On this new day in the New Year
I light a candle for harmony and transformation
so that past regrets, dissappointments and losses no longer consume me.

I light a candle for understanding and compassion for all of humankind
for those who love me and for those who do not.

I light a candle for healing and cleansing my mind, body and spirit
so that my past no longer hides the wondrous essence of who I am.

On this new day in the New Year
I light a candle for the insight to make wise decisions,
so that I can look to the future without regret.

I light a candle for the ability to confidently accomplish what is possible
and find the courage to accept whatever is beyond my control.

I light a candle for illumination to find my way through the darkness
and to light the way for others struggling in their own darkness.

On this new day of the New Year
I light a candle for all of my hopes, wishes and dreams
and my abiding faith in believing they will come true.

I light a candle for empowerment and kindness
so that my heart is filled with light, love and happiness.

I light a candle for determination and strength
so that I can proceed on my life's journey
in harmony and happiness with hope and a peaceful heart. 

     One of my favorite things is a candle. Not the artificial, LED type, but the 'real thing'. I admit, I am very picky about my candle scents. My family and friends know better than to give me a candle without my input for the scent. I enjoy the scents of the candles, but I also love the soft light that a candle emits. It is not the harsh light of a flourescent bulb or an incandescent light. It is a soft, calming glow. I enjoy watching the flame slowly flicker and burn. Each flame burns differently, individually, in it's own way. We could learn a lot from a candle flame. "In the darkness even one small candle burns like the sun". "Let your light shine....". Each bright flicker is an individual manifestation of the potential within the center, the wick, the soul of the candle. Burn freely, without limitation. Burn brightly, without fear. Burn true, without artificiality. Be a light, in a dark world. Bring a spirit of peace and calm, that all is right with the world. 

 "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. (Matthew 5:15 KJV)."

     I love this quote by Marianne Williamson:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
(This inspiring quote by Marianne Williamson is from her book, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles, Harper Collins, 1992. From Chapter 7, Section 3 (Pg. 190-191)).

     So, as this new year begins my challenge to myself, and to you -should you choose to accept it - is to not be afraid to let my light shine. Shine bold, shine bright, shine on! Be who you were meant to be - no matter what or who might to try to snuff it out.  I will no longer keep it "hidden away". I will "let it shine".

"There's a light in the depths of your darkness
There's a calm at the eye of every storm
There's a light in the depths of your darkness
Let it shine...oh, let it shine
Let it shine...oh, let it shine
Let it shine...oh, let it shine
Let it shine"

There's a Place in This World for a Gambler (Dan Fogelberg)

No comments:

Post a Comment