Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My "life journey theme song"

As anyone that knows me well well knows, I am a musical person. Music speaks to my soul. I have played the piano for over 40 years, taught lessons for over 20. There have been songs along the way that have truly resonated with me (I'm certain you will see references to them many times in my future blogs).  Some speak of a feeling, a moment in time or a thought that I was unable to express, but some creative, talented lyricist can and does. This song, Icarus Ascending, is probably (at least for my life since age 40) my life journey theme song. The lyricist, Dan Fogelberg, wrote so eloquently my view of my life at this point in time. When I need an inspiration or an uplift, this is what I listen to. Thank you, Dan Fogelberg, may you rest in peace.

You can view a video presentation of this song at: http://youtu.be/Bu0opE8-MvE


Icarus Ascending
Written by Dan Fogelberg
from his Full Circle Album, 2003

Soaring alone upon a threatening wind
Just fix your eyes on the horizon
Cut off from everything you’ve known or have been
I shouldn’t think it’s so surprisin’
Spiraling upward on a freshening lift
Reaching the realms of fleet Apollo
You have been given the most sacred of gifts
You must be fearless now and follow

(Chorus)
Don’t look down
Though your heart may be weary
Don’t look down
Though your wings are on fire
 Don’t look down
Though the night may seem endless
There’s a reason you’re flying this fast and this far
Let your faith be your strength
And your love be your guiding star

Venturing further than the length of your sight
Out past the reach of your beginnings
There is a gamble in each proud act of flight
But the losses pale before the winnings
Circling and diving with this freedom you’ve found
Illusion blows apart and scatters
There is no darkness in this place that we're bound
Love is the only thing that matters

Repeat Chorus
Up.....up.....up.....up.....


Dan Fogelberg reflecting on "Icarus Ascending" from Full Circle, 2003

"This is the high water mark of this record for me. This is one of the most recent, a very important song to me as a songwriter. It's a statement of my personal philosophy of being an artist. It does give hope for those who are willing to plumb the depths of individualism in any endeavor, in any art. The gift of art is an incredible blessing from the creator. I believe that. It's not an easy life, not a popular choice to make if you want to be everybody's friend. You have to listen to that unwavering voice that says, 'You're special, but it's not going to be easy.' It will be very difficult, but if you choose to pursue it unfailingly, I believe you will be greatly rewarded in a way people who are not given this creative spark will ever understand. It's perhaps as close as I will ever come to really expressing my core philosophy. I'm not talking financial here, but spiritual rewards. Many great artists never realized financial rewards. This is a song to those artists, more than someone like me, who has had every reward I can possibly think of. So many great artists struggled all their lives and will never see the perks. This song says you have to have enormous courage to follow the muse and that's Icarus. The Greek story is one of the great stories of optimism and foolishness, that he would make wax wings to fly to the sun. But as an artist you've got to be fearless and keep flying to the sun even though you know you might crash. ' There is a gamble in each proud act of flight' is one of the best lines I've ever written."

No comments:

Post a Comment