Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Living Each Moment

 "The spirit is an area of growth most of us set aside, half hoping the day will come when some soul-stretching peak experience will lift us out of the ordinary consciousness for a glimpse of the sacred and eternal. But we have to prepare our consciousness for taking such a path. We need to change the way we measure time and to relax our insistence on control .... Instead of focusing on the time running out, it should be a daily exercise ....to mark the moment. The present never ages. Each moment is like a snowflake, unique, unspoiled, unrepeatable, and can be appreciated in its surprisingness....If every day is an awakening, you will never grow old. You will just keep growing." - Gail Sheehy from the book New Passages

Too often I get so caught up in the demands of my busy schedule and what I think has to be done by a certain deadline, that I lose sight of why I'm doing what I'm doing in the first place! I try to force the changes that I see need to be made. I try to control the uncontrollable. I call it the "spoiled child syndrome" aka "I want it and I want it now!" I'm learning that sometimes the timing just isn't right yet for everything to fall into place. But, when I try to "be still", "let go and let God handle it", and when the timing is right,everything does fall in to place, and it's grand and surprising and inspiring! This keeps me going and moving forward. It's that shot in the arm I need to keep going, to keep trying. It gives me hope. Sometimes I wish I was better at "marking the moment" and enjoying each moment of each day. Like Gail says, "Each moment is like a snowflake, unique, unspoiled, unrepeatable, and can be appreciated in its surprisingness." I want to be able to look at my every day as an awakening and just keep growing. Grow, or die.

To the Morning 

http://youtu.be/RxClQ_pInzc

Watching the sun...watching it come
Watching it come up over the rooftops
Cloudy and warm...maybe a storm
You can never quite tell from the morning

(Chorus)
And it's going to be a day
There is really no way to say no to the morning
Yes it's going to be a day
There is really nothing left to say but come on morning

Waiting for mail
Maybe a tale from an old friend or even a lover
Sometimes there's none
But we have fun thinking of all who might have written

(Chorus)

And maybe there are seasons
And maybe they change
And maybe to love is not so strange

The sounds of the day
Now they hurry away
Now they are gone until tomorrow
When day will break and you will wake
And you will rake your hands across your eyes and realize
That it's going to be a day
There is really no way to say no to the morning
Yes it's going to be a day
There is really nothing left to say but come on morning

And maybe there are seasons and maybe they change
And maybe to love is not so strange

"I wrote this (in the summer of 1970) when I was 18 years old. This was the first song that made me think I might actually make a living as a songwriter. I still find it a special piece to perform." (Dan Fogelberg)

"To The Morning" the first song on Dan Fogelbergs first album "Home Free" (released 1972), began with strings, sustaining a hauntingly beautiful chord which faded into the song "To The Morning"; a song of hope invoking the day with the lyric, "There is really nothing left to say but 'come on, morning.'"
To The Morning (Lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment