Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Simple Things, Great Gifts


  • “Think of what a better world it would be if we had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon, and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.”

     – Barbara Jordan, United States Congresswoman


  • Simple Things (Jim Brickman, featuring Rebecca Lynn Howard)

         I have been thinking a lot lately about "simple things". I think this is because of all of the chaos and upheaval I have been experiencing in my personal life these days. Last week I experienced the great pain and chaos (and 5+ hours in E.R.) of having a small kidney stone. Who knew that a 6 mm x 3 mm rock could wreak such havoc? If you have ever had one, I'm sure you can "feel my pain".  It amazes me how much pain and chaos this small stone has caused both in my physical body and in the world around me. It has totally disrupted my life for a week and wreaked havoc on my system. 

       But, if I look at this situation and turn it around and look at the "small and simple things" that bring joy into my life, my perspective changes. Sometime ago I made a "joy list" and saved it on my computer. I have revisited and revised it a little. I am glad I did this exercise so that, at times like these, I can go to it and remind myself that "all is not lost" and "this too shall pass" (pun intended ;-)). I can still have joy, in spite of the pain, if I choose to look at it from a different point of view.
     
    My Joy List

    1. Beautiful flowers and gardens

    2. Beautiful music

    3. Beautiful artwork (anything Thomas Kinkade)

    4. Good chocolate

    5. Time with family

    6. Feeling the love of God through the Spirit

    7. Helping others to feel the Spirit through learning, teaching and serving

    8. Sunshine

    9. The cat purring while sitting on my lap 

    10. Holding my husband's hand

    11. Autumn Leaves on the trees

    12. Scented candles

         As much as I am able I am trying to surround myself with these simple things, trying to maintain some sort of balance between the positive and the negative to help me experience some joy in my life right now. 

       I think back to when my children were young, and we had less committments, money and time, yet we seemed to take great delight in the small and simple things of life. We enjoyed going on walks, playing games together, building with blocks, doing puzzles together, playing dolls, snacking on milk and cookies and naps. They were busy days, but simpler times. These seemingly small and simple things were the building blocks of good relationships. They promoted the secure foundation that my children needed in order to someday go out on their own and build their own lives with courage and confidence. As this quote states:

    "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."  ~Robert Brault

    Simple Gifts (Yo Yo Ma and Alison Kraus)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment