Friday, June 15, 2012

Someday I'll Find "it"

Pinned Image

Mandy/Could It Be Magic? (Barry Manilow)
http://youtu.be/7NKxzKRBk-0

      I had the priviledge of attending another Barry Manilow concert last night (my fourth). What a show and what a showman!! I have had an ongoing relationship with Barry since I was 13 years old! I knew from the first time that I heard "Mandy" and "Could It Be Magic?" that there was something very special and different about this artist. Who knew?!! To me, Barry is a shining example of someone who found his "calling" early in life and has made a life of "music and passion" by pursuing his passion for music. I admit, I envy people like him - those who figured out early in life their purpose and then go for it! I know his childhood growing up in Brooklyn was "less than ideal", but look what a life he has made out of it! He has chosen to rise above his "circumstances" and gone on to have a "successful" life he seems to love.

Pinned Image
(sigh)
     Barry had his grandfather who believed in his talents and abilities, and that was a huge motivator and support for his chosen profession. I don't know that I had that level of support growing up. My parents were great people and I knew they loved me.  They gave me a great life foundation, but I don't see them as the "cheerleaders" in my life. There are a lot of reasons for this that I won't go into, but I sometimes wonder if my life would have turned out differently had I had someone cheering me on and telling me "you're not so bad" (All The Time by Barry Manilow http://youtu.be/sXj8djMeMzs). In fact, you are really good at _______? Everyone needs a "cheerleader" in their life. Everyone needs to feel like they are good at something.

    I have always thought it would nice to have known early in my life what my life's purpose was. I feel like I have wasted a lot of time and energy trying to figure out "what I wanna be when I grow up". Don't get me wrong, I have always wanted to be a wife and a mother. But, I have always felt like there is something more that I am supposed to do in my lifetime. I have taught piano lessons for over 20 years, and have had lots of fun (and some frustration) doing it. I hope I have blessed lives along the way. But now, as I am reaching the end of the "child raising years", I am wondering what else there is for me to do.

     I guess that this is why I continue to explore new avenues and try new things. Never stop growing! This is why I went back to college in my late 40's. I'm not what I would call adventureous or a risk taker, but I do enjoy learning about new things and thinking "outside of the box". I think when I felt that familiar restlessness that there is just something more for me to do, I went back to what I was familiar with to try to figure it out - i.e. back to school. I have enjoyed my 3 years back in college, but I'm now feeling that my life's journey is taking me in another direction. I think that this time there is something new that I need to explore and try.  I continue to hope that "someday I'll find it , the rainbow connection, the lovers the dreamers  - and me...."

The Rainbow Connection
http://youtu.be/f5_y0s-COl8

No comments:

Post a Comment