Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My All-Time Oscar Picks!

BrightNest | And the Oscar Goes to…Your Carpet!

The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand)

     I didn't watch the Academy Awards this year, but I did see some of the movies that were nominated for the awards (loved Les Miserables) There has been so much "Oscar" buzz this past month that I thought it might be fun to make up my own list of favorite movies and post it here. AMC has been showing the winners from past years throughout the month of February, and it has been fun to see some of the old ones again and reminisce. I was surprised at how many I had actually seen! My mother was a bit of a movie musical fan, and she exposed me to many of those during my childhood. I have to admit, this is one of my favorite movie genre and so few are made anymore. Next to that I would have to choose the romantic comedy as a favorite. So, here is my list of  "must see in your lifetime" movies. Check below the "Academy Award Winners" list for my picks of great movies that did not win Academy Awards, but are worth watching anyway. Enjoy, and don't forget to bring the popcorn!

Academy Award Winners include:

1940 - Gone With the Wind - Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable - timeless
1944 - Casablanca - Humphrey Bogart!
1952 - An American in Paris - Gene Kelley - the best dancer ever! 
1957 - Around the World in 80 Days - a grand adventure
1958 - Bridge on the River Kwai - lots of excitement and explosions
1960 - Ben Hur - Charleton Heston! 
1962 - West Side Story - Natalie Wood
1965 - My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison - yes! 
1966 - The Sound of Music - Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer!
1967 - A Man for All Seasons - Sir Thomas Moore!
1968 - In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Portier
1969 - Oliver! "You want more!!!"
1974 - The Sting - Yes, Robert Redford and Paul Newman on the same screen!
1977 - Rocky - Gonna Fly Now!
1983 - Gandhi - long, but Ben Kingsley is brilliant as Gandhi.
1984 - Terms of Endearment - bring out an extra box of tissue for this one - sniff, sniff
1990 - Driving Miss Daisy - sweet movie
1991 - Dances with Wolves - Kevin Costner.
2004 - The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King - of course!

My Oscar Picks include:

Funny Girl - Barbra Streisand and Omar Shariff
On Golden Pond - Henry Fonda, Jane Fonda and Katherine Hepburn
Sleepless in Seattle - Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks
You've Got Mail - also Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks
Hello Dolly - with Barbra Streisand 
Mame - Lucille Ball
Singin' In The Rain - Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds
The Unsinkable Molly Brown - also with Debbie Reynolds
Flower Drum Song
South Pacific
Brigadoon
The King and I
Annie - though I must admit, I like the play better.
Les Miserables - with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, etc.
The Muppet Movie - the Rainbow Connection, Kermit and Miss Piggy, of course! 
The Jazz Singer - for the Neil Diamond Music
Somewhere In Time - Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour at the Grand Hotel!
Kate and Leopold
Serendipity
Pride and Prejudice
Star Wars - all, of course
Harry Potter Series
White Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street - Dylan McDermott and Elizabeth Perkins - "A baby brother, see ya!"
Fried Green Tomatoes - "Towanda!"
Superman - Christopher Reeves
The Other Side of the Mountain - the Jill Kinmont Story
The Slipper and the Rose - Richard Chamberlain with the cleft in his chin.
The Natural - Robert Redford
The Robe
P.S. I Love You - tissues, please
The Blind Side

The Theme from "Star Wars"











No comments:

Post a Comment